A Netgear R6700v3 router protects your home network by blocking unwanted incoming internet connections and acting as a basic firewall. Sometimes you need to open a port in your router in order to get a good connection for a game or to use a specific device on your network. The R6700v3 lets you choose the applications that are allowed to connect through an open port. By opening a port in your router you allow a specific application or game to send data from the internet to your home network.
Follow the steps below to open ports in your Netgear R6700v3 router:
- Set up a static IP address on the device or computer you are forwarding these ports to.
- Login to your Netgear R6700v3 router.
- Find the Port Forwarding / Port Triggering section in your Netgear R6700v3 router.
- Find the Advanced tab at the top of the screen and click on it.
- Find the Advanced Setup tab located near the left of the screen and click on it.
- Click on the link labeled Port Forwarding / Port Triggering.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
If this sounds difficult, you are not alone. We will walk you through each step in opening a port for the Netgear R6700v3 router.
Setup A Static IP Address
Set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This is an important step that keeps your ports open even after a reboot, power outage, or another type of device or router disconnect.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
â Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Login To Your Netgear Router
Log in to the Netgear R6700v3 router. To do this you need to use a web browser because the Netgear R6700v3 router uses what is called a web interface.
It normally doesn't matter what web browser you use so go ahead and open up your favorite. If you don't have a favorite then open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
If that is confusing to you, we have simplified this step with this link: Login to your R6700v3 Router
Once you have opened up a browser window, find the address bar. This is usually at the top of the page like the image below shows.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The default IP address for the Netgear R6700v3 router is: 192.168.1.1
Once you have entered your router's IP address in the address bar go ahead and click the enter button on your keyboard. You should see a box like the one shown below.
Enter the username and password for your Netgear R6700v3 router. Note: If you have changed these numbers in the past, you will need to enter in the those values.
- The default Netgear R6700v3 Router Username is: admin
- The default Netgear R6700v3 Router Password is: password
Once you have entered your username and password, remember to click the Log In button to login to your Netgear R6700v3 router.
Netgear Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Netgear Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Netgear R6700v3 router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Find the Port Forwarding Section
After a successful login to the Netgear R6700v3 router you should be on the home page of your router. Now you need to find the Port Forwarding section.
- Click the Advanced tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Find the Advanced Setup tab at the left of the screen and click on it.
- Click the link that says Port Forwarding / Port Triggering.
You should now be on a page called Port Forwarding / Port Triggering.
Create A Port Forward
Make sure that you must open a port in your router before doing so since this will allow data to come through the firewall portion of your router to a specific device. It is possible that this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. However, don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it because the risk is very low.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Click on the Add Custom Service button.
- In the Service Name box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
- In the Protocol dropdown box, select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding. Choose Both if your router has that option. Otherwise, choose either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP and your router does not have the Both option, then you need to create two entries.
- If you are forwarding a single port number, enter it into the External Port Range box. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the External Port Range box, followed by a hyphen followed by the largest number. For example, a range of port numbers might look like this: 1000-2000.
- Check Use the same port range for Internal port.
- You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the Internal IP address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- Click the Apply button at the top of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.
Test Your Ports To See If They Are Open
Use our Network Utilities software, (which includes a free Open Port Checker tool) to test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Netgear R6700v3 router correctly. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: