A SmartRG 808ac router contains a basic firewall to help protect your home network. A Firewall blocks incoming connections by nature. Sometimes you need to unblock some of these connections so you can run a game or application. This is called opening a port or port forwarding. Port forwarding is literally forwarding a port from the internet to your home network.
In order to open ports in your SmartRG 808ac router, you need to:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Go ahead and log in to your SmartRG 808ac router.
- In your SmartRG 808ac router, navigate to the Forwarding section.
- Find the Advanced tab located near the top of the screen and click it.
- Click on the Forwarding tab at the left of the screen.
- Create a Forwarding entry.
If the process of forwarding ports in your router seems difficult to you, you are not alone! Do not get discouraged. Let us walk you through the steps for opening a port in the SmartRG 808ac router. Just follow along as we lead you through the process of opening a port in your router.
It is important to set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
→ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
In order to login to the SmartRG 808ac router you need to use a web browser. The SmartRG 808ac router uses what is called a web interface where you can access and control router settings.
Go ahead and open up your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
If this step is confusing, we have simplified it for you with this link: Login to your 808ac Router
Find the address bar once you have opened up a web browser. This is usually located at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The SmartRG 808ac router's default IP address is: 192.168.0.1
Enter your router's IP address into the address bar of your browser and click the enter button on your keyboard. A box like the one below should appear.
Go ahead and enter the username and password for the SmartRG 808ac router in the spaces available. Remember if you have changed them in the past, you need to enter those values.
- The default SmartRG 808ac Router Username is: admin
- The default SmartRG 808ac Router Password is: admin
Enter your username and password, and then click the Log In button to log in to your SmartRG 808ac router.
SmartRG Usernames and Passwords
If the username or password did not work check out our Default SmartRG Router Passwords page.
If you are unable to log in even after trying the above list of passwords you may need to consider a reset for your router. Our guide How to Reset a Router can help you with that. After resetting the SmartRG 808ac router your username and password will be reverted back to factory defaults.
You should be on your routers home page once you complete logging in. Find the Forwarding section on the home page of the SmartRG 808ac router.
- Find the Advanced tab at the top of the screen and click it.
- Click on the Forwarding tab, which is at the left of the screen.
You should now be on a page called Forwarding.
Make sure that you must open a port in your router before doing so since this will allow data to come through the firewall portion of your router to a specific device. It is possible that this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. However, don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it because the risk is very low.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Click the Create IPv4 button.
- Find the Local IP Address box and enter the IP address that you want ports forwarded to. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address for devices on your network that you want to forward ports for.
- Leave the External IP Address box blank.
- If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the External Start Port and External End Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the External Start Port box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the External End Port box.
- In the Internal Start/End Port box, enter the same values that you entered into the External Start/End Port box.
- Select the protocol type of the ports that you are forwarding from the Prot dropdown box. If your router has the option of Both, then go ahead and select that. Otherwise, select either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP, but your router does not have Both, then you will need to create two entries.
- In the Description box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
- Select Yes to Enable this forward.
- Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page when you are completely finished to apply these changes.
Test If Your Ports Are Open
Finally, I strongly recommend testing to see if you forwarded the SmartRG 808ac ports correctly. To do this you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: