This TP-Link TL-WR340G router has a firewall that helps protect the home network from unwanted Internet access. A firewall does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized. In order to authorize additional connections to go through the firewall for an online game or application you need to create what is called a port forward. A port forward sends the named port through the firewall directly to a designated computer on your home network.
A port forward may seem difficult at first, but don't worry we will walk you through each of the steps involved. These steps are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device or game console you want to forward these ports to.
- How to login to the TP-Link TL-WR340G router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- How to make a port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
NOTE: Write this address down on a piece of paper. You need it a little later in Step 4.
It is now time to login to the TP-Link TL-WR340G router. To do this you need to open a web browser such as Google, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Firefox. It typically doesn't matter which browser you decide to use.
Once you have opened the browser, find the address bar at the top of the page. It should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default TP-Link TL-WR340G IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
Press the Enter key after typing in the router's IP address. This should give you to a Login window like this:
If the above login page does not appear, you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. To help you with this, follow the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR340G Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR340G Router Password is: password
After entering the router's username and password, press the Enter key or the OK button to access the router's user interface.
If you were unable to login to the TP-Link TL-WR340G using the above values, here are a few troubleshooting ideas:
- Try other TP-Link username/password combinations. If you have a different firmware version you could easily have a different username and password as well. Here is our list of Default TP-Link Router Passwords.
- If that does not work, it is because the username and password were changed. We recommend taking some time guessing what you may of changed it to. For extra help you can user our Router Password Cracker.
- Finally, if you are still unable to login to the TP-Link TL-WR340G router, you may need to reset the router. Resetting a router is a big step and should not be taken lightly. All your personal changes you have made in the past are erased. If you need to reset your router read this How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your router. We begin on the Router Status page:
Begin by pressing the Forwarding link in the left sidebar.
A new group of options appears below that. Click the option of Virtual Servers
Next, click the Add New button in the center section of the page.
You are now ready to enter the port forwarding information.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
In the Service Port box type the port to forward.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
From the Status dropdown box choose Enabled.
Click the Save button when you are done.
After each entry, make sure to click the Save button.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the TP-Link TL-WR340G you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Don't have time to port forward? You ran into troubles while port forwarding the TP-Link TL-WR340G? Use our Port Forward Software. We really think port forwarding should be easy. If you use our software we will troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix all your port forwarding issues. Let us help, we will get your ports forwarded.
Wait there's more. We have more than just port forwarding guides. Check them out here. Try one of our game walkthroughs or learn how to read binary. We are your computer information source.
Interested in learning how to setup a router like a pro? At setuprouter.com we have router specific guides to show you how to setup a secure network, change your radio channel, what encryption to use and much more.