An important aspect of having a Linksys router on your home network is internet security. In general, routers block incoming internet connections and protect your network by only allowing the connections that you specifically set up. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock certain connections in your router or open a port in order to play a game or use an application. To help you get a better connection for gaming or using an application, you can open a port in your EA9300 and allow a direct connection.
The following steps will show you how to open ports on the Linksys EA9300 router:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Login to your Linksys EA9300 router.
- In your Linksys EA9300 router, navigate to the Port Range Forwarding section.
- Click the Security tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Find the Apps and Gaming tab at the top of the screen and click it.
- Click on the Port Range Forwarding link at the top middle of the screen.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
If this sounds difficult, you are not alone. We will walk you through each step in opening a port for the Linksys EA9300 router.
Setup A Static IP Address
It is important to set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
â Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Login To Your Linksys Router
The Linksys EA9300 router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Linksys EA9300 router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your EA9300 Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys EA9300 router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Enter your router's IP address into the address bar of your browser and click the enter button on your keyboard. A box like the one below should appear.
Go ahead and enter the username and password for the Linksys EA9300 router in the spaces available. Remember if you have changed them in the past, you need to enter those values.
- The default Linksys EA9300 Router Username is: admin
- The default Linksys EA9300 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the Login button to log in to your Linksys EA9300 router.
Linksys Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Linksys EA9300 router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Find the Port Forwarding Section
You should be on your routers home page once you complete logging in. Find the Port Forwarding section on the home page of the Linksys EA9300 router.
- Click on the Security tab at the left of the screen.
- Find the Apps and Gaming tab located near the top of the screen and click on it.
- Click the Port Range Forwarding link, which is at the top middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page called Port Forwarding.
Create A Port Forward
Forwarding ports in your router creates a path that allows data to get through your network firewall, and this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. So make sure that you must forward a port before actually doing so. However, the risk is very low, so do not let this warning stop you from making this change if you need to.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Click on the Add a new Port Range Forwarding button, which is at the left of the screen.
- In the Application Name box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number in the range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number in the range into the End Port box.
- Make the Both selection in the Protocol drop-down list.
- Find the Device IP box and enter the IP address that you want ports forwarded to. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address for devices on your network that you want to forward ports for.
- Put a check in the Enabled box.
- Find the Save link at the left of the screen and click on it.
- Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page when you are completely finished to apply these changes.
Test If Your Ports Are Open
Finally, I strongly recommend testing to see if you forwarded the Linksys EA9300 ports correctly. To do this you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: