A Linksys WRT32XB router protects your home network by blocking unwanted incoming internet connections and acting as a basic firewall. Sometimes you need to open a port in your router in order to get a good connection for a game or to use a specific device on your network. The WRT32XB lets you choose the applications that are allowed to connect through an open port. By opening a port in your router you allow a specific application or game to send data from the internet to your home network.
In order to open ports in your Linksys WRT32XB router, you need to:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Go ahead and log in to your Linksys WRT32XB router.
- Find the Port Forwarding section in your Linksys WRT32XB router.
- Click on the Advanced tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Find the Port Forwarding link located near the left of the screen and click on it.
- Find the Add new port forwarding rule button located near the middle of the screen and click it.
- Go ahead and create a Port Forwarding entry.
The process of opening ports in your Linksys WRT32XB router may seem daunting. Remember, however, that you are not alone and do not have to feel discouraged. Let us walk you through the steps for opening ports in your router. Let's get this figured out!
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
If you want to ensure that your ports remain open even after your device reboots, set up a static IP address in the device that you are opening a port for.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
â Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Linksys Router
The Linksys WRT32XB router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Linksys WRT32XB router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your WRT32XB Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys WRT32XB router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Enter your router's IP address into the address bar of your browser and click the enter button on your keyboard. A box like the one below should appear.
Enter the username and password for the Linksys WRT32XB in the corresponding boxes. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Linksys WRT32XB Router Username is: blank
- The default Linksys WRT32XB Router Password is: admin
To log in to your Linksys WRT32XB router, enter your username and password, and then click the Log In button.
Linksys Username and Password Trouble
If the username and password that you typed in did not work, check out our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for other ideas about possible passwords.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in, you may need to reset your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. After resetting the Linksys WRT32XB router your username and password are reverted back to factory defaults. Router settings may also change when you reset, so make a note of your current router settings before you reset.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
After a successful login to the Linksys WRT32XB router you should be on the home page of your router. Now you need to find the Port Forwarding section.
- Click the Advanced tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Find the Port Forwarding link at the left of the screen and click on it.
- Click on the Add new port forwarding rule button at the middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page that says Port Forwarding.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Opening a port to a specific device may solve problems that you are having on your network. Make sure that it is necessary though, before opening a port, because you are effectively creating a pinhole in the firewall portion of your router that could lead to malicious traffic on your network. The risk is exceedingly low, though, so don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- First make sure that the enabled button is turn on.
- Type in a name for this forward in the Description box. Choose a name that will help you remember why this forward was set up since it does not affect the functionality of the forward.
- Go ahead and enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the IP Address box. It is possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or of any other device on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- Enter the port number into the Port Start and the Port End boxes to forward a single port. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Port Start box and then enter the highest number of that range into the Port End box.
- In the Protocol dropdown box choose Any.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.
Test If Your Ports Are Open
Finally, I strongly recommend testing to see if you forwarded the Linksys WRT32XB ports correctly. To do this you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: