Did you know your Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router has a basic firewall that helps to protect your home network from unwanted access from the Internet. This firewall keeps connections from getting in or out without your permission. The way you give a port permission to bypass the firewall is with a port forward. Learn more about port forwarding in this What is Port Forwarding guide.
In this guide we will walk you through each of the following steps:
- Setting up a static IP Address on whatever device you want to forward ports to.
- Login to your Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click on Advanced Setup.
- Click on Port Forwarding / Port Triggering.
- Click the Add Custom Service button.
- Creating a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
It is now time to login to the Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router. Did you know your router uses a web interface? In order to access the web interface you need to open up a web browser. It doesn't matter which one you decide to use, I suggest picking your favorite. Some common options are: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge.
Simply open up the web browser and find the address bar. It will look like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
Next, just click the Enter key on your keyboard. If everything goes as it should, you will see this page:
You are in the right place if you see a box asking for a username and password.
- The Default Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Password is: password
After typing in the username and password, click the OK button to access your router web interface.
Having Trouble Logging In?
This step is a common place to get stuck. There are several things you can try:
- First, you can try other Netgear usernames and passwords. Sometimes router firmware updates change the username and password. If this is the case, a different Default Netgear Router Passwords might work.
- How about trying to guess your password? We have a Find Password App that helps to automate the exhausting process of trying hundreds of different combinations. This is perfectly safe as it will only work on your local home network. Learn more on our Router Password Cracker page.
- This last option is not recommended unless you have exhausted all other options. A factory reset erases the changed password and returns it to the default settings. The problem is, it also returns everything else to factory defaults as well. If this is something you think you need to do, read more about it in our How to Reset a Router guide.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that you start on the following page:
Select the Advanced tab at the top of the page.
Now, look in the left sidebar. Choose the option of Advanced Setup.
At this point more options appear under that. Pick the new choice of Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
Finally, click the button that reads Add Custom Service in the lower center section of the page.
The page above is the one you need to end up on.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Service Name box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
From the Service Type box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
If you are forwarding a range of ports separated by a hyphen then enter the lowest number of that range into the External Starting Port box and the highest number of that range into the External Ending Port box. If you are only forwarding a single port number then enter that number into both the External Starting Port and the External Ending Port boxes.
Make sure that the Use the same port range for Internal port checkbox is checked.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Internal IP Address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
Click the Apply button when you are finished.
When you are finished, click the green Apply button to save your changes.
Test if Your Ports are Open
It is now time to test if the ports are opened properly. In order to test the Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router we recommend using our free Open Port Checker. This is found in our free trial version of the Network Utilities. This Open Port Checker is not only free but it is guaranteed to work.