Opening Ports in a TP-Link AC1750 Router
Did you know the TP-Link AC1750 router comes with a basic firewall? It helps to protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. This firewall blocks incoming connections from the Internet that you may want unblocked for a game or application. In order to unblock a connection you need to create a port forward which forwards the connection through the firewall and sends it directly to a device on your local network.
In this guide we will walk you through each step in the port forwarding process.
We will walk you through each of the following steps:
- Setting up a static IP address on the exact device you want these ports to be forwarded to.
- Logging into your TP-Link AC1750 router.
- Finding the port forwarding section.
- Click the NAT link.
- Click on Virtual Servers.
- Click the Add New button.
- Making a port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
In this step we show you how to login to the TP-Link AC1750 router. To begin with you need to know that this router uses a web interface. All this means is that you need to use a web browser to access the router interface.
It doesn't matter which browser you decide to use, just pick your favorite. Here are some examples:
- Internet Explorer
After you have opened the web browser, you need to find the address bar. This is normally found at the top of the page like this:
Do you see the address bar at the top of the page? It has been circled for you. Simply replace what is in this address bar with the IP address of the TP-Link AC1750 router. This IP address is also sometimes called the default gateway.
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to in the past, then you need to look at this How To Find Your Router's IP Address guide.
By default the IP address of the TP-Link AC1750 is set to: 192.168.1.1
Now that you have finished entering the correct IP address in the address bar, simply press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should then be prompted for a username and password like this:
- The Default TP-Link AC1750 Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link AC1750 Router Password is: admin
Go ahead and enter the TP-Link AC1750 username and password and click the OK button to access your TP-Link AC1750 router.
Sometimes the above username and password do not work. There are several possible reasons this is the case. Here are a few things you can try if you find yourself unable to login.
- The first thing we recommend trying is other TP-Link usernames and passwords. Sometimes a new firmware version comes with a slightly different username and password. Check out our list of Default TP-Link Router Passwords here.
- If that did not help, it is probably because you changed the username and password in the past and have forgotten. Before doing anything drastic (like throwing the router across the room) why not try to crack the password yourself? We have a great app we call the Find Password App that tries thousands of different common combos for you. This app is safe to use on your home network, however, it will not work over the Internet. Learn more about this app on our Router Password Cracker page.
- If neither of the above options worked for you it may be time to consider a reset. A reset like this one erases all personal settings. We do not recommend this course of action unless you have exhausted all other troubleshooting ideas. If a reset is something you think you may need to do, read our How to Reset a Router guide.
Once you have successfully logged into the TP-Link AC1750, you need to find the port forwarding section of your router. We are going to start on the Status page:
It is difficult to see in the screenshot above, but you first click the option of NAT in the left sidebar.
A new menu appears at this point, click the option of Virtual Servers.
You are then shown a new page like the one above. Select the link in the center section of the page labeled Add New.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
In the Service Port box type the port to forward.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
In the Status dropdown box pick Enabled.
Click the Save button when you are finished.
Don't forget to click the Save option after each entry.
Congratulations, you have forwarded your ports.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have finished forwarding the ports on the TP-Link AC1750 router you need to test them to see if they forwarded correctly. In order to test them we recommend using our Open Port Checker. This can be found in our Network Utilities free trial version.
Find More Information
If you enjoyed this guide, here are some others you may be interested in: