How to Port Forward a TP-Link TL-WR802N Router
This TP-Link TL-WR802N router has a basic firewall that helps protect your home network from potential Internet threats. Your firewall does this by blocking all connections to and from the Internet unless specified otherwise. In order for you to tell your firewall you want additional ports open for a program or game you need to create a port forward.
In this guide we will be walking you through each and every step in order to get your ports forwarded. We will show you how to:
- Setup a static IP address for the device you are forwarding these ports to.
- Login to your TP-Link TL-WR802N router.
- Find the port forwarding section of your router's interface.
- Create a port forward entry on your router.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
It is now time to login to the router. Your TP-Link TL-WR802N router uses a web interface which means you need to open a web browser to gain access to your router's settings. It shouldn't matter which browser you decide to use, we recommend picking your favorite. Common options for web browsers are: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
Once you have picked your web browser, open it up and find the address bar. It is usually at the top of the page like this:
In the image above, we have circled the address bar for you. Simply replace what is in the address bar with the router's IP address. This IP address is also called the Default Gateway.
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to, we can help you recover it on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
The default router IP address for the TP-Link TL-WR802N router is: 192.168.0.1
Now, press the Enter key. If everything went as it should have, you will see a login page like this:
On this authentication page, enter the TP-Link TL-WR802N username and password and press Enter or the green Login button.
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR802N Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR802N Router Password is: password
If you are unable to login to the TP-Link TL-WR802N router here are a few things you can try:
- First of all, we recommend trying other TP-Link usernames and passwords. If your router is a slightly different firmware version it is possible you also have a different username and password. Here is our list of Default TP-Link Router Passwords.
- If the default password list did not work it is because you changed the username and/or password in the past and have forgotten what you changed it to. We strongly recommend trying to guess what you changed it to. We can help with this Find Password App. It automates the guessing process for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, if you are still unable to login, it might be time to consider a factory reset. A reset like this one is a big step and should not be taken lightly. All of your personal information is erased and returned to how it was when you first bought the router. If you need to consider a reset, take a look at this How to Reset a Router page.
Once you have successfully logged into the TP-Link TL-WR802N router you need to navigate to the port forwarding section. Let's start on the Status page.
Click the option in the left sidebar labeled Forwarding.
Then click the option of Virtual Servers.
Now that you are on the page you see above, click the option of Add New... in the center section of the page.
Congratulations, you have made it to the port forwarding section of the TP-Link TL-WR802N router.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the same port number to be forwarded into the Service Port and the Internal Port boxes.
Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the IP Address box. This is either the IP address of a computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
From the Status dropdown box choose Enabled.
When you are all done click the Save button.
Make sure to Save your changes after you have finished entering the data.
Test Your Ports
After you have finished entering the port forwarding data into your router it is a very good idea to check your work. We have a Open Port Checker that uses a local application on your computer to check and see if the ports were opened correctly. This Open Port Checker is completely free when you get our trial version of the Network Utilities.
If you have a question or want to leave us some feedback please use our forum. There is a FAQ section that might help you if you are stuck. If you don't see your question there, just ask one of our knowledgeable staff.
From networking to gaming and walkthroughs we have a growing list of guides to choose from here at portforward.com.
For router specific guides such as how to setup your WiFi or change the channel on your router check out our setuprouter.com website.