Did you know your Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router comes with a basic firewall to help protect your home network from unwanted Internet access? A firewall is designed to block connections to and from the Internet. Some connections have been opened for you but how do you open additional connections for a game or application? The process of opening a connection or port is often times called a port forward because you are forwarding a port through the firewall and directing it at a device on your home network.
In this guide we will walk you through every step in the process of port forwarding on the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router.
The steps we will be walking you through are:
- Setting up a static IP Address on the exact device you want to forward these ports to.
- Logging in to your Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router.
- Finding the port forwarding section of the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router.
- Click the Firewall Settings button.
- Click the Port Forwarding link.
- Finally, we will show you exactly what to enter in your router to get your game or application port forwarded.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
It is time to login to the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router. First of all, you need to open a web browser because routers use a web interface. It doesn't matter which web browser you use, there are lots of them. Some common ones that come to mind are: Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Go ahead and pick your favorite web browser and open it up.
Locate the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
After entering the correct router IP Address in the web browser's address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. You should be shown the following page or box:
If you see a Login box asking you for a username and password, you are in the right place.
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Username is: admin
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Password is: password
Simply enter the username and password and click the OK button to access the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F web interface.
Still Can't Login?
If you have made it to the login screen and are denied access there are several possible reasons why. Here are a few things you can try:
- Sometimes a new firmware update changes the username and password. Why not try some other common Actiontec default username and password combos? We have a list of the Default Actiontec Router Passwords here.
- Maybe you changed the username and password in the past and don't remember. If this is the case it is time to try and guess what you changed it to. We have a real handy Find Password App that automates the process for you. You can set this to work and walk away knowing the app will try hundreds of different combos for you. Learn how long it will take here. This app is completely safe and can only be used on your local home network.
- Finally, if nothing else works, it may be time to consider a factory reset. This type of reset is not recommended unless you have exhausted all other options first. All your personal data is lost including possible ISP information you may not know. If this is something you need to do, learn how on this page.
You are now logged into the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router and need to find the port forwarding section. To do this let's start on the following page of your router:
Look to the top of the page and click the Firewall Settings option.
At this point the left menu changes. From this new menu in the sidebar choose Port Forwarding.
This takes you to the page you see above. This is the Port Forwarding page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
In the IP Address box to choose a device to forward ports to. This box contains a list of device names that are visible on your network.
Pick Custom Ports from the Application dropdown box.
Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding.
In the Port box enter the port to forward.
Click the Add button when you are all done.
When you are finished, click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded your ports on the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.F router you need to see if they forwarded correctly.
To test if the ports are open we recommend using our FREE Open Port Checker. This Open Port Checker is in our free trial of the Network Utilities. This free Open Port Checker is the only one online that has Guaranteed Results.
Here are some other guides you may like as well: