In this guide we will describe how to port forward the Actiontec MI424WR router.
All Actiontec MI424WR routers have a simple firewall included to help protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. A firewall continually blocks incoming connections you may want unblocked because of a game or application. To unblock a connection you need to create an open port or more frequently a port forward because you want to forward a port through the firewall to a device on your network.
The basic process to open a port is:
- Setting up a Static IP Address on the exact device or game console you want to forward these ports to.
- Login to your Actiontec MI424WR router.
- Then find the port forwarding section.
- Click the Security button.
- Select the Port Forwarding link.
- Click the Add link.
- Choose the Add Server Ports link.
- Finally, create a port forward entry or rule.
These steps may seem difficult at first, don't give up, we will be walking you through each of the steps in the process to get your ports forwarded.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
The next step is to login to the Actiontec MI424WR router. Your router uses a web interface, which means you need to use a web browser to access your router setup pages. It does not matter what browser you decide to use, just pick your favorite. Some common options are Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
After opening the web browser of your choice, find the address bar which is normally located at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Actiontec MI424WR IP Address is: 192.168.1.1 Once you have entered the router's IP Address you can simply press the Enter key on your keyboard. If all goes as it should you will see the following page:
If you see a box asking for a username and password then you are on the right page.
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Username is: admin
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Password is: password
Simply enter the correct username and password for your Actiontec MI424WR router and click the Login button.
Problems with the Actiontec Usernames and Passwords
There are a couple different reasons the above username and password did not work for your router. Here are three troubleshooting options you can try:
- If the username and password did not work we first recommend trying other default Actiontec options. You can find our list on the Default Actiontec Router Passwords page.
- If you are still unable to login, we recommend trying to crack it. To make things less time consuming we have a great app called the Find Password App that automates the process for you. (Note: To prevent illegal activity, this app does not work over the Internet.)
- This third option should only be considered if you have already tried and failed both of the above options. If you have no other option, you may need to consider a router reset. A factory reset like this erases all personal settings, including any ISP settings you may have on your router. If a reset is something you think you need to do, check out our How to Reset a Router guide.
It is time to find the port forwarding section of your Actiontec MI424WR router. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click the Security option at the top of the page.
- Then click the Port Forwarding link on the left side of the page.
- Now click the red Add link in the middle of the page.
- You should now see another link in roughly the same place. Click the red Add Server Ports option.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
Use the Source Ports dropdown box to select Range.
If you are forwarding a single port then you can enter that port number into the left Source Ports and the right Source Ports boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the left Source Ports box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the right Source Ports box.
If you are forwarding a range of ports then you need to enter the lowest number into the left Destination Ports box and the highest number into the right Destination Ports box. If you are only forwarding a single port then you can enter that same port number into both the left Destination Ports and the right Destination Ports boxes.
Click the Ok button.
Once you are finished with the port forwarding you need to click the OK button.
You should now see a Networked Computer/Device list. Select Specify Address from that list.
Now enter the IP Address you plan on forwarding these ports to. (This is that Static IP Address from step 1)
Next, leave the WAN Connection Type set to All Broadband Devices.
Leave the Forward Port set to Same as Incoming Port.
The When should this rule occur needs to remain set to Always.
Finally, click the OK button.
Congratulations, you did it.
Checking if Your Ports Are Open
Now that you have forwarded the ports on the Actiontec MI424WR router you need to test them to see if they forwarded correctly.
To test if the ports forwarded properly we recommend using our FREE Open Port Checker. It is part of our Network Utilities. This particular Open Port Checker is not only FREE but it has Guaranteed Results.
Congratulations on getting your ports forwarded. If you liked this guide, you may also like these: