The Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E router comes with a basic firewall designed to help protect your home network. Basically it works by blocking connections to and from your home network. Want to learn more about firewalls? Check out this page. Some connections are opened so you have the ability to use the Internet. There are times you want more than just those basic connections opened. To open additional Internet connections through your firewall is called a port forward. You can learn more about port forwards here.
To setup a port forward you need to do these 4 things:
- Create a static IP Address on the exact device you are forwarding these ports to.
- Login to your Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section. To do this:
- Click the Firewall Settings button.
- Click the Port Forwarding link.
- Create a port forward entry.
Don't panic. We will walk you through every step in the process. We will get your ports forwarded.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
To create a port forward you have to first login to the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E router. This router uses something called a web interface. This means you have to login to the router through a web browser. It should not matter what browser you decide to use. Some common options are Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari. Simply pick your favorite web browser and open it up.
Next, locate the address bar. The address bar is normally at the top of the page and where you type a web address in:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E router IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
After you have entered the correct IP Address, click the Enter key on your keyboard. You should be directed to a authentication page:
You should see a Login page asking you for a username and password.
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Username is: admin
- The Default Actiontec MI424WR Router Password is: password
Go ahead and enter the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E router username and password and click the OK button.
Are you having trouble logging into your router? If you have gotten to the username and password page and are unable to access the router there are several things you can try:
- You can try other default Actiontec usernames and passwords. Sometimes new firmware updates change the username and password. These Default Actiontec Router Passwords might help you.
- If none of the default Actiontec passwords helped, then maybe you can try to figure out what you changed it to. We have a Find Password App that can automate the process for you. It is a completely safe app to use and cannot be used over the Internet. It only works on your local home network.
- Finally, if nothing else works, it may be time to consider a reset. This is not recommended unless you have exhausted other troubleshooting methods. All your personal settings are erased including any ISP settings, making it difficult to reconfigure. If a reset is in your near future, check out this How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the Port Forwarding section of your router. To do that follow us. We will be starting on the first page of your router:
From here, click the Firewall Settings option at the top of the page.
Now click the Port Forwarding link in the left sidebar.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
Use the IP Address box to choose a device to forward ports to. This box contains a list of device names that are visible on your network.
In the Application dropdown box pick Custom Ports.
Select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding from the Protocol box.
In the Port box type the port to forward.
Click the Add button when you are finished.
When you are finished, click the Apply button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
One Last Thing
You are almost done. It is a good idea to test the ports you just forwarded.
In order to help you with this we have a FREE Open Port Checker that is Guaranteed to work, unlike others you find on the Internet. You can find our FREE Open Port Checker in our Network Utilities tool.
Congratulations on getting your ports forwarded. If you enjoyed this guide we have more you may like:
- Can I Port Forward 2 Xboxes?
- Here's a huge list of Game Walkthroughs.
- Here is a guide to understanding Binary Numbers.
- Learn how to use Wireshark.