Simple Asus RT-N12 D1 Router Port Forwarding Instructions
Your Asus RT-N12 D1 router uses a firewall to help protect your home network from potential Internet threats. It does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that have not been authorized. This is why sometimes when you are playing an online game or using an online application it won't run as smoothly as you think it should or you get dropped completely. Some of the connections for that game or application are probably being blocked by your firewall. To fix this aggravating problem you need to open the game or application's ports. This process is called port forwarding.
In this guide we will go through the steps involved in how to create a port forward. We will be covering:
- How to create a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- Then we will show you how to login to the Asus RT-N12 D1 router.
- And how to navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Finally, we show you exactly what information to enter into your router to create a port forward.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
It is now time to login to the Asus RT-N12 D1 router. Did you know your router uses a web interface. This means you need to login using a web browser. It doesn't matter which browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some of the more common options are Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
Once you have picked the web browser, go ahead and open it and look for the address bar. Normally this is at the top of the page like this:
As you can see from the image above, the address bar is at the top of the page. It has 192.168.1.1 in it. All you need to do is replace what is in there with the router's IP address. Sometimes the router's IP address is called the default gateway or the router's GUI address.
The default IP address for the Asus RT-N12 D1 router is: 192.168.1.1
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past then you need to enter that IP address instead of the default one above. If you changed it and don't recall what you changed it to, follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After entering the router's IP address in the address bar just click the Enter key on your keyboard. If everything went according to plan you should be shown the following page:
This box contains a place for a username and a place for a password. Simply enter the values and press the Sign in button.
- The Default Asus RT-N12 D1 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Asus RT-N12 D1 Router Password is: password
Having Trouble Logging In?
If you are having trouble logging into the Asus RT-N12 D1 router, here are a couple options:
- First, we strongly recommend trying other Asus usernames and passwords. It's possible you have a different firmware version and with that could be a different username and/or password. Here is our list of Default Asus Router Passwords.
- If you are still stuck it is because you changed the username and/or password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. Why not trying to guess what you changed it to? We recommend using our Find Password App to help. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally if both the above ideas did not work it might be time to consider a reset. A factory reset like this is a big step and should not be taken lightly. All your personal information is erased. Learn more about resetting the Asus RT-N12 D1 router on this How to Reset a Router page.
You should now be logged into the Asus RT-N12 D1 router. To find the port forwarding section, follow these instructions:
From the Network Map page, click the option in the left sidebar labeled WAN under the Advanced Settings heading.
Then click the tab at the top of the page labeled Virtual Servers/Port Forwarding.
On this page, make sure the radio button labeled Yes is chosen next to Enable Port Forwarding.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the name of the program into the Service Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
In the Port Range box enter the ports to forward.
You can ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Local IP box. This is either the IP address of a computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding from the Protocol box.
When you are finished, click the + button.
When you are finished, click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.
Testing Your Ports
We now recommend testing your ports to see if they forwarded properly. To do this we recommend using our Open Port Checker. It's free and part of our trial version of the Network Utilities. Our port checker is better than the others you find online because we use a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This will guarantee an open port verification.
Do you still have questions about port forwarding? Check out our FAQ section in the forum. If you don't find what you are looking for there, ask and we will be happy to help with your port forwarding question.
We also recommend checking out our huge selection of free guides in the guide section. From networking to gaming, portforward.com is your information source.
Are you looking for guides about setting up your router? No worries, check out our setuprouter.com site.