Your D-Link DI-634M router comes equipped with a firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections unless specified otherwise. In order to open some of these connections you need to create a port forward.
Port forwarding is not a difficult process if you follow our guide. We will walk you through each of the steps in order, including:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the D-Link DI-634M router.
- How to find the port forwarding section once you are in the router interface.
- How to create the port forward for your game or application.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Write this static IP address down, you need it in Step 4.
This step involves logging into the D-Link DI-634M router. This router uses a web interface meaning you need to login using a web browser. It shouldn't matter which browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some of the more common options are:
- Internet Explorer
After opening the web browser, you need to find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DI-634M IP Address is: 192.168.0.1 If you have changed the router's IP address in the past then enter that IP address in the address bar. If you don't remember what you changed it to or the above default address did not work, you need to find out what you changed it to. We recommend following the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After entering the IP address of the D-Link DI-634M router you simply press the Enter key. This takes you to the following page:
Do you see the Log In box like the one above?
- The Default D-Link DI-634M Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DI-634M Router Password is: leave blank
Simply enter the username and password associated with the D-Link DI-634M router and click the Log In button to access the router's interface.
D-Link Login Trouble?
This is a common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try if you find yourself here:
- First, we recommend trying other D-Link username and password combinations. If you have a slightly different firmware version of a D-Link router you may also have a different username password combination. Here is our list of the Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is likely you changed the username and/or password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. You can do a couple things here. One - try and guess what you changed it to (chances are this will work). Two - Let us help by automating the process for you. Use our Find Password App. It guesses thousands of different combinations for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, and as a last resort, you may need to do a factory reset on the D-Link DI-634M router. A factory reset is a big step and everything you have ever changed is erased. If you use DSL you may also need to contact your ISP for the login information for them. Be aware that a factory reset requires a full reconfiguration of your network. If you need to reset the D-Link DI-634M router, learn how on this How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your D-Link DI-634M router. To do that we start from the first page in your router:
- Click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
- Then click the Port Forwarding option in the left sidebar.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward for your game or application.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
Select the Enabled radio button.
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Name box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
In the TCP Ports to Open or UDP Ports to Open box enter the ports to forward.
You can ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
These entries are protocol specific. If the ports you are forwarding need to be forwarded using the TCP protocol, you should enter those ports into the TCP section. If the ports you are forwarding need to be forwarded with the UDP protocol, you should enter those ports into the udp section.
Verify that Firewall Rule is set to Allow All.
The default for Schedule is set to Always. Leave it like this.
When you are all done click the Apply button.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Test if Your Ports are Open
How do you tell if your port forward went through as it was suppose to. You need to test it. There are a lot of different port checkers on the Internet. Most use the application you are forwarding the ports for to check if your ports are open. That works great except if you don't have that application yet. If this happens you get a false reading from the port checker.
Our Open Port Checker doesn't work that way. We don't assume you have a certain application on your computer. Our Open Port Checker uses a local application on your computer to see if the ports are open, guaranteeing no false readings.
Don't forget you can always use our Port Forwarding Software. Our software makes port forwarding easy. We help you by troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing all your port forwarding issues for you.
Check out our other networking and gaming guides here.
Need to setup your router? We can help make your router as secure as possible, check out our guides for your router at setuprouter.com.