Simple Instructions to Help Setup a Port Forward on the Sagemcom Fast 3686 Router
Your Sagemcom Fast 3686 includes a pretty basic firewall that helps protect your local network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by actively blocking all incoming and outgoing Internet connections unless you specify otherwise. Some online games and applications work much better if additional connections are allowed through the firewall. In order to allow more connections through the firewall you need to create a port forward.
In this guide we will walk you through each of the steps involved in forwarding ports on the Sagemcom Fast 3686 router. These steps include:
- Setting up a static IP address on device you plan on forwarding ports to.
- Logging into the Sagemcom Fast 3686 router.
- Finding the port forwarding section in the router interface.
- Entering the port forward information on the port forwarding page.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: I recommend writing the Static IP address down, you need it in Step 4.
Now we are going to login to your Sagemcom Fast 3686 router. Your router has a web interface, so you will login to it using your web browser. This can be either Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. It usually does not matter which browser you choose to use.
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
In the above image the address bar has been circled and it has 192.168.0.1 in it. Simply replace what is in the address bar with the Sagemcom Fast 3686 IP address. This can be referred to as the router's IP address, router's GUI address, and the computer's default gateway.
By default the Sagemcom Fast 3686 IP address is set to: 192.168.0.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press Enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
If you are not shown the above screen, something went wrong. At this point you need to find out what the router's IP address was changed to. In order to do this follow the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
Your goal is to see a screen that prompts you for a username and password.
- The Default Sagemcom Fast 3686 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Sagemcom Fast 3686 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the Apply button to log in to your Sagemcom Fast 3686 router.
Sagemcom Usernames and Passwords
This is a very common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try:
- We first recommend trying other Sagemcom username/password combinations. It is possible you have a different version than this. Different versions sometimes have different passwords. Here is our list of Default Sagemcom Router Passwords
- The most common reason a password won't work is because you have changed it in the past. You can do a couple things here: First, you can try guessing what you changed it to. Second you can use our Router Password Cracker to do the guessing for you. This handy tool really does make owning a router a lot easier.
- The last thing you can try is a factory reset. Do not attempt a factory reset unless you have exhausted all your other troubleshooting options. To learn the basics of a reset read this How to Reset a Router page.
To find the port forwarding section of the router we will begin on the General Status page:
We begin by clicking Advanced at the top of the page.
Next, click the link in the left sidebar labeled Forwarding.
We are now on the page you see above. Click the option of Create IPv4 in the center section of the page.
You are now on the right page to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the Local IP box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
If you are forwarding a range of ports then you need to enter the lowest number of the range into the Local Start Port and External Start Port boxes and the highest number of the range into the Local End Port and External End Port boxes. If you are only forwarding a single port then you can enter that same port number into the Local Start Port, Local End Port, External Start Port and External End Port boxes.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
Put a name for this forward in the Description box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
Pick On from the Enabled dropdown box.
After you are done click the Apply button.
Don't forget to click the Apply button after each entry.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Don't Forget to Test Your Ports
After you have finished all of the above steps, you need to see if the Sagemcom Fast 3686 router forwarded them without any problems. To do this we recommend using our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our port checker uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and then positively verifies that your ports are forwarded.
Find More Information
- Need more help port forwarding the Sagemcom Fast 3686? Use our Port Forwarding Software. Our software makes port forwarding easy.
- Need to port forward through two routers? Learn how on this page.
- Learn how to properly and securely setup your router at setuprouter.com
- Check out our growing list of game walkthroughs.