Your Netgear WGR614 router comes with a basic firewall that helps to protect your home network from any unwanted access from the Internet. Firewalls are designed to block connections. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of these connections for a game or application. This process is called a port forward or creating an open port.
The basic process to open a port is:
- Setup a static IP address on the device you want these ports forwarded to.
- Login to your Netgear WGR614 router.
- Find the port forwarding section:
- Click the Port Forwarding / Port Triggering link.
- Click the Port Forwarding radio button.
- Click the Add Custom Service button.
- Create a port forward.
These steps may seem difficult, but don't worry, we will walk you through every step in the process.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Let's login to the **Netgear WGR614 ** router. To do this you need to use a web interface, meaning you need to use a web browser to login to your router setup pages. Pick any browser you like such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or some other browser of your choosing. It shouldn't matter which browser you use.
Once you have opened a web browser, look for the address bar at the top of the page. It looks something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Netgear WGR614 IP Address is: 192.168.1.1 After entering the router's IP Address simply click the Enter key on your keyboard. You should see this screen:
Do you see a box prompting you for a username and password? If so you are on the correct page. Go ahead and enter the username and password for the Netgear WGR614 router.
- The Default Netgear WGR614 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear WGR614 Router Password is: password
Netgear Usernames and Passwords
Did the username and password fail to work? We recommend trying other Netgear usernames and passwords. We have a list of all known Netgear passwords on this Default Netgear Router Passwords page.
If you are still unable to login to the router it is probably because you changed the username and password and have forgotten it. It may be time to consider a reset. A reset like this one erases all changes you have made in the router and reverts them back to factory defaults. To learn how to do this read our How to Reset a Router Password guide.
Now let's find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that let's start on this page:
- Click the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering option in the left sidebar.
- Now put a dot in the Port Forwarding radio button.
- Then click the Add Custom Service button close to the bottom of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
Put a name for this forward in the Service Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
If you are forwarding a range of ports separated by a hyphen then enter the lowest number of that range into the Starting Port box and the highest number of that range into the Ending Port box. If you are only forwarding a single port number then enter that number into both the Starting Port and the Ending Port boxes.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Server IP Address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
When you are finished, click the Apply button.
Don't forget to click the Apply option after each entry.
Time to Test Those Ports
It is always a good idea to test the ports after you believe you have forwarded them correctly. To test your ports use our Network Utilities tool. This tool includes a free Open Port Checker. It is the only one online that has Guaranteed Results.
Other Guides You May Like
- More guides for your Netgear WGR614 router.
- Click here for Common Networking Terms.
- Check out the Internets largest collection of Router Screenshots.