How to Open Ports in a Asus RT-N12E_B1 Router
This Asus RT-N12E_B1 router has a firewall that helps you keep your home network safe from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized. All the connections needed to surf the web and check your email are authorized, however some connections that allow for better online gaming or other online programs are not automatically opened. You need to open them by creating a port forward.
On this page I will show you exactly how to port forward on the Asus RT-N12E_B1 router. I will walk you through each of the following steps:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding the ports to.
- How to login to the Asus RT-N12E_B1 router interface.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the device.
- What information to enter for the port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: You need this static IP address a little later in this process, write it down.
In order to login to the Asus RT-N12E B1 router you need to open up a web browser. It should not matter which web browser you decide to open, I recommend picking the one you are most comfortable with such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge.
Once you have opened the web browser of your choice, find the address bar. The address bar is typically at the top of the page. It will look something like this:
As you can see in the image above, I have circled the address bar for you. Once you have placed your cursor in the address bar, simply enter the router's IP address in this space. Remember the router's IP address can be called the computer's default gateway.
By default the Asus RT-N12E_B1 router has an IP address of: 192.168.1.1
After you enter the router's IP address in the address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. This should open up a window or page that asks for a username and password like this:
If you do not see a login screen asking for a username and password, you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. To do this follow the instructions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
Go ahead and enter the router's username and password in the spaces provided.
- The Default Asus RT-N12E_B1 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Asus RT-N12E_B1 Router Password is: password
Press the blue Sign in button when you are finished.
This is a common place to have problems. Here are a few tips:
- On occasion router manufacturers change the defaults on us. If the defaults we gave above did not work try some other common Asus passwords. Here is our list of known Default Asus Router Passwords.
- Still unable to login? Did you change the username/password in the past? Try guessing some of your more common passwords you use. You can also use our Find Password App.
- Still stuck and getting frustrated? It might be time to consider a factory reset. This is not something to take lightly. A lot of settings may be changed, depending on how much you have personalized your router. Learn the basics of resetting a router here at How to Reset a Router.
By now you should be logged into the Asus RT-N12E_B1 router interface. It is time to find the port forwarding page of the device. To help you we will be starting on the Network Map page:
First, click the WAN option in the left sidebar.
You should now see a page similar to the one above. Click the tab at the top of the page labeled Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
You are now on the port forwarding page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Service Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
In the Port Range box enter the ports to forward.
You can ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the Local IP box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
When you are finished, click the + button.
When you are finished, click the option of Apply down at the bottom of the page.
Check your Ports
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if the ports forwarded properly, so we recommend using our Open Port Checker to see if the ports forwarded correctly. Our port checker uses a local application to see if the server is listening. This guarantees an accurate reading.
Here at portforward.com we have more than just port forwarding guides. We also have networking, software, and gaming guides. Check them out on our guide page.
Do you need help setting up your router for the first time? How about your WiFi security, is it as strong as it should be? We can help at setuprouter.com.